Friday, May 13, 2011

Meet Khaled

Salaam,
I am Khaled Rajhid. I am 19 years old and I  live in Sidi Bouzid, Tunisia. I  have attended high school but unfortunately my education cannot go any further because my father was recently killed by the police. Now I have to quit studying and find a job to support my extended family of eleven. Finding a job is impossible in this corrupt economy my family has gone many nights without food in their stomachs. President Ben Ali is not helping us and his ignorance and neglect has sparked angry fires inside of us. It was not too long ago right here in Sidi Bouzid a man, Muhammad Bouazizi, actually set himself on fire. He was caught running an unlicensed vendor and when he tried to pay for his crime he was unlawfully abused. None of the local municipality officials would listen when he tried to report the injustice. This goes for everyone in Tunisia, including me. When my father died I did not even bother to report the incident because I knew nothing would be done. But, after this man burned himself, something inside of me changed. I realized that if I continued with the silence more on more people would die unlawfully. I joined the protests for this man and I also texted all family and  friends to join too. That night my family did not eat because I did not work yet, no one complained because nothing was more famishing than speaking out to my government. My goal is to inspire more  people to continue fighting against Ben Ali. We have to stop being afraid and  break the silence. We need to scream to the world and spread the word with all the resources that we have.
Sincerely,
Khaled Rajhid 

4 comments:

  1. I love how professional your blog looks. I feel like since there isn't a crazy design, it's easier for me to feel with your character and be able to connect their issue with a current one.
    -Tania Dib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like you guys background it really draws my attention, the words are very bold and easier to read. Is it harder for you to move on since your father got killed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog entry is similar to mine because my character also had to stop going to school to get a job and work in factories to get money for the family. I wonder if they could relate to each other if they met -jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is like my character because he drop out of school to make money for his family.
    -kevin

    ReplyDelete